Pages

11 January 2016

Balance is Key

It's been a little over a week since I posted anything. What a week it's been!

A few weeks before Christmas a colleague from another team at work asked me if I had time to take part in a project they were about begin after the holidays. Of course I said yes (because I basically suck at saying no to anything). So, the Saturday after New Year I headed to work cheery and not knowing what was in store for me.

I won't tell you exactly what I did, for obvious reasons, but it basically involved moving a _lot_ of data from excel-files to our system. By hand. I ended up working on the project for ten hours a day on average, apart from Wednesday. It was tedious and tiring, and most of my colleagues were on the verge of a nervous breakdown at some point.

I, on the other hand, coped pretty well. I got into a strange flow, actually. I had a gazillion cups of tea, listened to some music and typed like crazy. And suddenly it was four, then six and then eight o'clock. And there was much less data to be transferred.



I noticed that I enjoy having a clear task to perform in a certain amount of time (the job needed to be done by today and we finished on Saturday). I wouldn't want to do something like that every single day, but it was nice to have a bit of a change. And I now know that I never want to be one of those career people who work twelve hours a day every day of the week. I value my free time too much.

Although and perhaps because free time was really limited this week, I wanted to make the most of it. I'm beginning to really understand how important it is to have balance and to be present. Balance truly is key!

To relax after my insane working hours, I've been working out at the gym and doing yoga (with Adriene, on YouTube. You should try it too!)) and it's been wonderful. If a year ago you said that soon I would be itching to get to the gym, I would've laughed. I've also done some crafting, trying to finish a couple of small projects that have been taking up space in our living room. Anybody else have a problem with unfinished projects that clutter up your space? ;)



Speaking of space, we also went to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Smooth transition there. Yes, I hadn't seen it yet. Yes, I'm a huge Star Wars fan and have loved the films since I was a kid and was superexcited to see it. I just don't understand the whole fomo-thing. I'd rather go watch films at my own pace, when the first hype is over and there is less people and more room in the theater.

Red_cheeks

I guess what I'm trying to say is that life is good. Busy and challenging, but good. Especially because winter finally came and it's not dark all the time thanks to the snow!

How has your 2016 started? 

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment